Chef Taniya Khanna created this recipe for Blueberry Fest in 2017.
Yield: Six Servings
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup apple sauce
1/3 cup molasses
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 large egg whites
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ cup finely chopped candied ginger
1 cup additional sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (for coating cookies)
½ cup maple syrup
2 1/4 cups + 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 cup whipping cream
¼ cup maple syrup
1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare the ginger cookies: In a mixing bowl, add brown sugar, applesauce, molasses and fresh ginger. Mix until smooth.
- Add egg whites and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, black pepper, and ground cloves.
- Mix the dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until just combined.
- Stir in candied ginger.
- Chill dough for 3 hours.
- Scoop out small portions of dough and form them into little balls.
- Roll them in cinnamon sugar and place on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- To prepare the maple blueberries: Cook 2 1/4 cups blueberries with 1/2 cup maple syrup in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until blueberries have burst, 3 to 8 minutes. Cool in an ice bath, stirring occasionally.
- While blueberry mixture cools, beat cream with remaining 1/4 cup maple syrup in a bowl using an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Stir lemon juice and remaining 1 1/4 cups blueberries into cooled blueberry-maple mixture.
- To assemble parfaits: Spoon about 2 tablespoons blueberry mixture into each of 6 glasses and top with half of crumbled cookies and half of whipped cream. Repeat layering of remaining blueberry mixture, crumbled cookies, and whipped cream.
- Serve parfaits immediately.