Culinary Director, Executive Chef David Speight created this recipe for Blueberry Fest in 2019.
Yield: Four Servings
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (or maple syrup/agave nectar)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil (not melted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup (or maple syrup/agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup crushed almonds (or any kind of nut)
Prepare Base Layer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9in square pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with nonstick spray or coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, mix the banana, brown rice syrup, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth. Mix in the oats, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Mixture will be wet.
- Transfer the base layer into the square pan.
- Smooth it out with a spatula and press down evenly.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping layer until well combined. Remove the pan from oven.
- Pour topping layer over and spread it out evenly, pressing it down into the base layer with a spatula.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool and set for 15-20 minutes before slicing the squares. Store in refrigerator.